In this article, we will tell you Maha mrityunjaya Mantra in English, its meaning, significance, benefits, and origin. Maha mrityunjaya Mantra is the oldest mantra of Hindu spiritual scriptures. The word Mahamrityunjaya is an amalgamation of three Sanskrit words- Maha, Mrityun, and Jaya. The combination of these three words depicts a deeper meaning. The mantra descends its name from Lord Shiva.
Lord Shiva is also known as Maha mrityunjaya, or the conqueror of death. There are other names for this popular mantra such as Mrita Sanjivini Mantra or Rudra Mantra or Tryambakam Mantra. Each of these names has a special significance. Mrita Sanjivini Mantra depicts immortality; Rudra Manta demonstrates Shiva’s furious form and the Tryambakam Mantra refers to the three-eyed Shiva.
Origin of Maha mrityunjaya Mantra
The mantra of Mahamrityunjaya is mentioned in Rigveda and bears a special significance. Hindu mythology has its own excerpts behind this mantra. According to the mythological facts, Sage Mrikandu and his wife Marudmati were in the process of self-mortification. Shiva impressed by their devotion decided to bless them with a son.
This blessing of Shiva was a little perplexing for the couple as it came with an option of an intelligent son with a shorter life span and an unintelligent son with a longer life span. The couple happily chose the former option. Thus, a son was born to Sage Mrikandu with a life span of only sixteen years, and he was named Markandeya.
Rishi Markandeya in order to relieve his aggrieved parents from the agony of his early death started to pray in front of Shiva Linga. It is said that Lord Shiva appeared from the Shiva Linga and killed Yama when he tried to take away Markandeya. Hence, Shiva is named as Mahamrityunjaya.
Maha mrityunjaya Mantra In English: Meaning, Significance, and Benefits
The Maha mrityunjaya Mantra consists of thirty-four syllables and is recited as follows:
Om Triyambakam yaja-mahe
Mrityunjaya (Bija) mantra:
Aum Hraum Juum Saha Aum Bhruurbhuvaha Swaha |
Aum Trayumbakam Yajaamahe Sughandhim Pushti Vardanam
Urvaarukamiva Bandhaananmrityormukshea Maamritat |
Aum Swaha Aum Bhuvaha Bhruuha Aum Saha Juum Hraum Aum ||
Maha mrityunjaya mantra meaning
The mantra means that we offer our prayers to the three-eyed Lord Shiva, who nurtures all living beings. May we get liberated from the eternal cycle of life and death and achieve immortality. May Lord Shiva give us the strength to detangle ourselves from the physical and material forces of the universe.
The Mahamrityunjaya Mantra holds special significance along with various other powerful Mantras. While the most chanted Gayatri Mantra is meant for spiritual progression, the Mahamrityunjaya Mantra is meant for seeking immortality. The Tryambakam Mantra, when chanted with complete devotion leads to liberation or moksha.
It cures illness, bestows longevity, and wards off evil forces. The right pronunciation of each syllable during the chant is very important as these sound vibrations will generate a flow of energy in the body. It reverberates our inner self helping us to achieve a meditative mind. It is believed that the recitation of the Mahamrityunjaya Mantra consumes the negativism.
The mantra is known for its divine healing powers. It leads us toward the path of enlightenment and self-revelation. Chanting Mahamrityunjaya Mantra in Brahma Muhurta or in the early morning time is said to be beneficial but the devotees can reap the benefits of the Mantra by chanting it any time of the day with complete devotion.
How to chant the maha mrityunjaya mantra in English
To chat maha mrityunjaya mantra in English, follow these steps below:
- Take a bath in the morning and wear clean white cloth.
- Collect few items for lord Shiva pooja like deep, dhoop, Bhang, flowers of hemlock (dhatura), Cow Milk, sandalwood paste, Ganga jal, fruits, bilva patra and fresh red & white flowers.
- The best place to chant this mantra is a shiva temple or near any holy river like Ganga.
- Now go to a shiva temple and first offer cow milk and Ganga jal to lord shiva for a bath. Then apply sandalwood paste on shiv linga. After that offer deep, dhoop, flowers of hemlock (dhatura), Bhang, fruits, bilva patra, and fresh red & white flowers. There is no hard and fast rule for lord shiva worship so you can do it your way.
- After completing pooja, now sit on a woolen asan facing east or north. Chant this mantra using Rudraksha mala for maximum benefits. Chant at least 324 times every day. Before Japa, put Rudraksha mala on shiv linga for a few minutes to wake this.
Benefits of chanting the Mahamrityunjay mantra in English
1. It saves your life from sudden death and accident if you chant with sincerity, faith, and devotion. The best time to recite this mantra is early morning hours (Brahma Muhurta), around 5.00 AM. Chant 108 times daily to get good health and wealth.
2. Take a glass loaded with water and sit confronting the east. Presently implore God Shiva, close the top of the glass with your right-hand palm, chant this mantra 1008 times, splash the water inside the house, take a couple of teaspoons, and offer it to individuals. You can summon the vitality of Lord Shiva in the water by doing this.
3. Recite the same number of times conceivable sitting next to individuals who are sick or in pain.
4. Consistently recite or play it on a recorder if there is an ill person around.
5. If your friend or relatives are experiencing cancer, play the mantra or chant consistently to lessen the agony.
6. It is said that reciting Maha Mrityunjaya produces divine vibrations that avert all the negative and evil forces and make an effective defensive shield.
7. Daily chanting of the mrityunjaya mantra in English will shield you from sudden demise, mischances, starvation, hardships of any sort, disaster, and unexplained circumstances.
8. Maha Mrityunjaya restores and gives well-being, riches, long life, peace, thriving, and happiness.
9. The healing and nourishing strengths enter the human body through nourishment, medications, strong feelings, and empowering considerations. The Maha Mrityunjaya Mantra attracts these strengths and makes an internal domain to upgrade their viability.
How many times Should I chant the Maha Mrityunjaya mantra?
It depends on the purpose you are chanting this mantra for:
- If you are chanting to get rid of fear: 1100 times.
- If you want to improve health and remove disease: 11000 times.
- For family, healthy growth and development, and protection from sudden death: 125000 times.
Maha Mrityunjaya yantra
During the Maha mrityunjaya mantra in English chanting, you can also place Maha Mrityunjaya yantra at pooja isthan to get most of the benefits. After placing the yantra, you should have to do the Shodashopachara pooja of this yantra and then recite the mantra.
Chanting the maha mrityunjaya mantra in English every day can give you wealth, prosperity, and a safe life.
Other Shiva Related Articles :
Mantra to dedicate bath to lord shiva
Mantra to dedicate clothes (yagyopaveet) to lord shiva
Mahadev mantra in hindi to dedicate scent
Lord shiv mantra to dedicate dhoop in hindi
Mantra to offer flowers to shiva in hindi